Written by Col. Tom Snodgrass (Ret.)
Obamacare was always a stalking horse for single-payer governmental healthcare
By Col. Tom Snodgrass (Ret.), Right Side News
To simplify a very complicated subject, I've condensed my thoughts into a succinct numerical, point-by-point, outline format.
1. President Barack Obama is on record telling the radical SEIU membership that he favored eventually instituting "single-payer" government healthcare, but he acknowledged that single-payer healthcare could not be achieved in one step because too many strong political forces opposed it. Obama stated that governmental single-payer would have to be achieved in incremental steps.
2. Obamacare was concocted as the first incremental, stalking horse step toward a governmental single-payer plan. Obamacare was designed to ultimately fail in order to create a crisis that set the stage for adoption of government-controlled, single-payer healthcare. Obama’s scheme envisioned governmental single-payer healthcare coming into being after the existing private healthcare insurance market was destroyed by a chaotic rollout of Obamacare. The mechanism that is a key aspect of the chaotic rollout currently destroying private healthcare insurance is federal regulatory power that causes the discontinuation of existing private policies by imposing new, high-priced, frivolous requirements (e.g., maternity coverage for young men and old women) that were not in existing plans.
3. Obama sold his Obamacare to the American people with the oft-repeated lies: "If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor, period. If you like your health care plan, you'll be able to keep your health care plan, period. No one will take it away, no matter what." These lies were central to Obama's secret scheme because he wanted to dispel any public apprehension and create the false impression that the transition to Obamacare would be uneventful and painless.
4. Simply stated, Obama's strategy was to make it impossible for the existing private healthcare policies to continue with Obamacare implementing regulations that piled on so many new, costly requirements for medical policies that the private insurance companies had no choice but to cancel existing policies and reissue them at much greater cost with all the Obamacare-mandated expensive and unnecessary bells and whistles.
5. The next step in Obama's nefarious subterfuge of cancelling existing policies, after promising the American people just the opposite, was to cast the blame on the private insurance companies for the cancellations. In spite of the fact that the policy cancellations were mandated by the Obama regime's government regulations imposed on the private insurance companies, Obama has gone back to the standard Obama playbook and is accusing “bad apple insurance companies” of the responsibility for the public losing their health insurance.
6. But Obama’s strategy is not working out as planned. The reason why Obama's scheme is currently unraveling is the failure of the Obamacare enrollment web site. (The obvious reason for the web site failure is Obama’s crony socialism of awarding a no-bid contract to the incompetent computer firm that employed as VP Michelle Obama's Princeton classmate and sister in the black alumni association. This inept company also contributed substantially to Obama's election campaign, but that is another story.) The Obamacare web site failure has had consequences that were totally unforeseen by Obama because it has focused public attention on government incompetence, rather than on the "greedy" private insurance companies and their money-grubbing cancellations of public's health policies as Obama planned.
7. Obama and his regime accomplices had counted on a smooth implementation of Obamacare, followed by the sudden cancellations of private policies that the Obama regime would attribute to the greed of the rich insurance moguls. The regime Obamistas are currently attempting to denounce the insurance companies' avarice as the cause for the American people losing their health coverage, but much to their dismay the uproar caused by Obamacare Internet failure has unexpectedly put the ineptitude of Obama's management abilities in the spotlight.
8. The regime is desperately attempting to refocus the hot arc light of negative publicity onto the private insurance industry, but the unexpected display of Obama's incompetence has put squarely in public’s crosshairs the discovery of Obama's egregious lies that promised no change for those who are happy with their healthcare.
9. The widespread public awareness of the monumental dishonesty involved in Obama’s 30+ public assertions that Obamacare would have no effect on Americans who didn’t want to change their healthcare has caused a sea change in public approval of both Obama and Obamacare. Public anger at being so blatantly lied to has made it all but impossible for the Obamaton media shills to provide the usual cover that they do for Obama’s scandals. And Obama’s insincere and incomplete apology on Thursday to NBC News is not likely to fool angry Americans who are having their personal lives negatively altered by Obamacare.
10. The most far-reaching consequences of the web site failure and the unveiling of Obama’s flagrant deceit is that the American people’s confidence in Obama and the competence of government has been shaken to the point that it could derail Obama’s planned next move to push for government-controlled, single-payer healthcare. At this point, with the people up in arms about losing their medical coverage, Obama’s original plan envisioned the public universally blaming the greedy private insurance industry for the debacle. Under these circumstances Obama believed that Americans would readily accept the big government solution of single-payer healthcare. However, that solution is going to be a tough sell in view of the demonstrated government incompetence and Obama’s outrageous mendacity.
11. As an aside, the Democrat senators who are vulnerable in the 2014 election are clamoring that they didn’t know people were going to lose their medical coverage as a result of Obamacare and that they are blameless because they were ignorant of these consequences. Their pleas of innocence are amusing because they are as dishonest as Obama’s promises of uninterrupted healthcare for those Americans who wanted no policy change. These senators are lying because Senator Mike Enzi (R-WY) exactly predicted the healthcare policy cancelling consequences of Obamacare, and he introduced a bill in September 2010 that would have precluded such cancellations. The Senate Democrats accused Enzi of “fear mongering,” and every Democrat in the Senate voted against Enzi’s legislation! So much for their being innocent of blame!
Democrats cannot be trusted to safeguard the American people’s healthcare interests. Period.
See the Colonel's Archive
Col. Thomas Snodgrass , USAF (retired) served over a year in Peshawar, Pakistan, working with Pakistani military intelligence. During his year in Vietnam he daily scheduled 130 U.S. Army and Air Force intelligence collection aircraft. In his final overseas tour he was the U.S. Air Attaché behind the Iron Curtain in Warsaw, Poland. In total, Col. Snodgrass was variously an Intelligence Officer or an International Politico-Military Affairs Officer serving duty tours in seven foreign countries, as well as teaching military history and strategy at the Air War College, US Air Force Academy, and USAF Special Operations School during a thirty-year military career. Additionally, he was awarded a year's educational sabbatical to teach and to write as an Air Force Research Associate at the Center for Advanced International Studies, University of Miami, Florida. Following the Air Force, Col. Snodgrass was an adjunct professor of military history for ten years at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Arizona.