The idea behind Prop. 202 is ingenious from an open-borders perspective - propose and heavily underwrite passage of an initiative that sounds like it would be tough on illegal-alien hiring but would accomplish the exact opposite.
Here is what the author of Arizona's current law (Rep. Russell Pearce) says about Proposition 202 on his web site
Arguments Against Proposition 202
* Arizona's current Employer Sanctions laws are the toughest in the nation. The Stop Illegal Hiring Act weakens existing law and virtually becomes Employer Amnesty
* This Initiative is fraud on Arizona voters. Arizona has the most effective, non-discriminatory employer sanctions law in the nation and it has been upheld in 4 court challenges. Those that sued Arizona brought you this initiative. This group puts 'profits over patriotism
,' and will do everything they can to keep 'cheap' illegal labor, while hurting American workers, costing American taxpayers billions of dollars and the associate violent crime that comes with it. New FBI date shows a direct correlation to violent crime and the illegal alien movement.
1) It abolishes required use of E-Verify
. Federal Judge John Walker, blasted the current federal I-9 process. 'The documents (workers present to companies) are fraudulent.' E-Verify is to help employers hire legal employees and is 99.7% accurate.
2) It exempts thousands of Arizona employers from the employer sanctions law by taking articles of incorporation and LLC registration out of the definition of 'license.'
3) It requires all complaints regarding employer violations of the law to be written and signed. Anonymous tips are an important tool used by law enforcement. This would stop employees from reporting violations.
4) It requires Arizona to wait until the federal government has taken action against an employer before the state takes action.
5) Establishes a 'non-rebuttable' presumption of innocence if one uses the fraudulent I-9 process or E-Verify, which means if they use them and cheat you still cannot use the info. against them.
6) It imposes an impossible standard of proof. High-level managers who are not officers or owners could hire illegal aliens with impunity, and would not face any enforcement[f>
U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-Colo.), who is renowned for his opposition to illegal immigration, also opposes Prop. 202. Click here
to read a blistering article he wrote about it in Human Events online on October 23.
According to the Arizona Secretary of State's web site
, Prop. 202's largest sponsor is Wake Up Arizona, which contributed $573,830 or 77% of total revenues raised to date. The group's web site
claims it is 'a coalition of Arizonans concerned about the unintended consequences of the state's new employer sanctions law.'
No Wake Up Arizona members are identified on its web site, but a NumbersUSA activist from Arizona discovered that Marion "Mac" Magruder is one of its key players. Magruder owns several Phoenix McDonalds franchises. He also contributed $9,500 of his own money to Prop. 202.
Secretary of State records indicate the following entities also contributed to Prop. 202:
$25,000 Western Growers, Irvine, Calif.;
$9,500 Arizona Farm Bureau, Higley, Ariz.;
$9,500 Arizona McDonalds Operators Association, Phoenix, Ariz.;
$3,000 Lenny Rosenberg, Self-Employed Restaurant Owner, Phoenix, Ariz.;
$2,500 Southern Arizona Home Builders Association, Tucson, Ariz.;
$2,500 Pasquinelli Produce, Yuma, Ariz.; and
$1,000 Arizona Nursery Association, Tempe, Ariz.
These industries are notorious for employing cheap illegal labor. By supporting Prop. 202, they are trying to accomplish what they could not in the state legislature and courts - the nullification of Arizona's strong illegal immigration reduction law. Please spread the word and help defeat this fraudulent initiative.
Thank you in advance for your assistance. P.S. Help NumbersUSA grow their membership by emailing fellow Americans about them and have them email to their friends. Polls show that most Americans agree with NumbersUSA's positions but, despite our recent rapid growth, most American voters still have never heard of them. You can help change that by forwarding this email widely. Especially with both Presidential candidates being pro-Amnesty, your participation is sorely needed.